Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Fez Hat




I've been thinking about putting up a new page on the website for this style of hats since they don't really seem to fit in well on any of the existing pages.  I call them fez hats because the idea for them comes from the traditional fez that's usually made from cotton cloth and has a tassel of some sort.  I've only made a few of them so far, but two fez hat owners decided at more or less the same time that they needed a second one. This first one is made from black alpaca and dark brown undyed merino wool.  The second hat is finished, but I haven't taken a photo of it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to do so by this weekend.  It's dark charcoal gray merino wool and lighter gray Jacob wool.


The top part is made with two ply yarn, which gives it some extra body that helps hold the shape. The rest is spun one ply medium weight.  I usually use a glass bead on the end of the tassel, though a wooden one might look nice, too.  This bead is a transparent warm brown which goes well with the brown in the two ply top section of the hat.

No comments: