Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Some history


A lot of people ask me if I raise sheep or live on a farm when they see me spinning raw fiber. The answer is no, not exactly. I did start out spinning fleece from my own angora goats, though. I was living on some land out in the hills in Mendocino County, California, where my partner and I had built a house of sorts, and we kept a few goats and chickens. One day a wild angora goat showed up, we fed him, and he decided to stay. So I found someone to show me how to spin and bought my first spinning wheel. I still have the place and it's basically the family home, even though it's a bit too rough to live there full time. I spend as much time as I can, though, and this is where I get my best inspiration and make my best hats. Here's a photo of my house. As you can see, there aren't a lot of neighbors!

No comments: